The school year is off to a great start! It's been a busy year thus far, hence the lack of recent posts, and I think I'm in desperate need of a Girls Night Out...so I decided to host one at my school! I first heard of the idea to have a Girls Night Out with dinner and the American Girl Movie Chrissa Stands Strong on the discussion forum ASCA Scene and have read about it on a few blogs after that. The movie tells a great story about a girl who is dealing with relational aggression. I am teaming up with my school counselor sidekick, Stacey Rothaupt, from one of the other elementary schools in my district. We are hosting the event at my school for 3rd & 4th grade girls and their moms (or any other adult female relative/family friend). So far 32/60 3rd and 4th grade girls have signed up from my school! I am so psyched for this event!
Want to host this event at your school? Read on to see how to prepare for the big night out!
- Get the OK from your administrator and set a date
- Obtain rights to show the film outside of school hours---this cost us $100 for a one time showing, but splitting the cost between 2 schools helps
- Send home information and sign-up form 2 weeks prior
- Advertise every way you can---morning news show, show the trailer to the girls to get them interested, reminders in school newsletters, etc
- Write up and make copies of parent information sheets and discussion questions for the night of
- Send home reminders the day before the event
- Order food for the event---we chose pizza as a safe bet
- Set up movie and all necessary equipment